Skill Development: Advanced throwing, batting, baserunning, catching pop-flies, intermediate skill development for players interested in catching and pitching – continued development of situational awareness such as knowing your pitch count, knowing your defensive outs, how to tag up while baserunning, where to throw the ball when on defense depending on outs and runners, etc.
Expectations: This division is offered in the Spring and Fall of each year. Each team is expected to play a minimum 10 games. Home and away games are about a 50/50 split, may need to travel more depending on how many games are scheduled with other local area leagues with travel to away games within approximately 20 – 30 minutes of Garner.
Game Play Rules:
- Field of Play: The distance between all bases must be 70 feet. The distance from the point of home plate to the front of the pitching rubber must be 50 feet. Playing field must have pitching mound.
- Time: No New Inning after 1h 20m – game ends after 1h 30m
- Pitching: Ball will be pitched to player from another player.
- Batting: Standard baseball rules. 3 strikes, 4 balls. Dropped third strike
- Innings: Innings change after 3 outs or 5 runs scored per half inning through 4 innings . Infield fly IS IN PLAY.
- Pitching: Inning limits…
- Baserunning: Leading, stealing all bases is allowed
Uniform and Equipment:
Jersey, hat, belt and socks are provided by Garner Sports League;
Required: Glove, helmet, baseball pants, cleats.
Strongly Recommended: bat.
Optional: catcher’s gear, including catcher’s glove (for catchers). First baseman glove, if you’re settling into this position. Garner Sports League has team catcher’s gear, helmets and bats that may be used during practices and/or games.
** Bats in 12U must be USA Baseball approved and carry the USA Baseball stamp or must be NFHS approved and carry the BBCOR stamp. **
**Metal Cleats are not allowed**
Age Qualification: Any player whose thirteenth (13) birthday falls on or after May 1 of current year is eligible to compete in 12U play. A player must have a minimum league age of nine (9) years of age.